Sunday, October 14, 2018

What's Making Me Happy


// Berbere. I ordered this spice blend from The Spice House a while ago. Lately I've been sprinkling it on butternut squash and sweet potato - things I'm not crazy about, frankly - and it makes them delicious.


// Baby Monkey, Private Eye by Brian Selznick and David Serlin. I heard about this book on Pop Culture Happy Hour when it was mentioned by Barrie Hardymon, whose every recommendation I write down breathlessly. She said she liked this book because both of her sons liked it despite their four year age difference.

It is an absolutely delightful book! The girls love it and it is very fun to read as an adult.


link via


// WeightWatchers. It's a game and I like games! Luckily I also like eggs (eggs are zero points).  Progress has been slow but steady and that's encouraging. This week I had to take a course of oral steroids and exercised more after a little hiatus - a recipe for being ravenous. Expecting a setback upon the weekly weigh-in but hey, Rome wasn't unbuilt in a day.


// Poshmark. This consignment app works for me because I'm buying non-tailored clothing (Eileen Fisher, medium, please). I have found so many great pieces (gently used or even new with tags) in perfect shape for a fraction of their original cost ... and even more sustainable the second time around.


// Electric pressure cooker. I bought the Fagor model recommended by American's Test Kitchen.  Set the pressure (usually high) and timer and then, done! The timer starts when pressure is reached, no monitoring the stovetop heat to maintain pressure like a conventional one. I've been really pleased so far but have not perfected hard boiled eggs (what Instant Pots are known for!) Too many variables? Temperature of eggs? Freshness of eggs? Number of eggs in the pot? Amount of water?!


// Smartwool no-show socks. I've purchased SO MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF NO SHOW SOCKS and at last, these work! No slipping off, not too tight. I wear them with oxfords (you'd have to try a different style to wear with ballet flats, etc).


// Getting back into CrossFit. I am hoping to go 2-3 times a week but sometimes I suffer from poor estimation skills when it comes to available time and and reserves of energy. I've settled on a Tues-Thursday-Sunday spin class schedule. Wed-Fri-Sat? I like to keep Monday morning a non workout morning (ie, wake up at 6 or 6:30 instead of 5) because Sunday night is usually the only night of the week I get to spend with Luke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment