Thursday, October 19, 2017

What's Making Me Happy This Week


// So much wisdom in this interview with cookbook author Melissa Clark. I've loved cooking from Dinner: Changing the Game and her new cookbook, Dinner in an Instant: 75 modern recipes for your pressure cooker, multi cooker, and Instant Pot came out this week. I'm on the library waitlist for it. I have a pressure cooker but will likely decide I need a multi cooker too. Or Instant Pot. Or both!

// I gave up on Hilary Mantel's Beyond Black 3/4 of the way through -- supernatural's just not my genre -- and I started James Shapiro's The Year of Lear: Shakespeare in 1606, which is fantastic.


// The discovery that Google Photos makes movies... unprompted! This video just appeared as is on my phone. Big Brother is watching and controls everything, but sometimes he makes such good content!







// This poem by Sharon Olds, recently shared on Writer's Almanac. Take-out is my love language too!

I have heard about the civilized,
the marriages run on talk, elegant and
honest, rational. But you and I are
savages. You come in with a bag,
hold it out to me in silence.
I know Moo Shu Pork when I smell it
and understand the message: I have
pleased you greatly last night. We sit
quietly, side by side, to eat
the long pancakes dangling and spilling,
fragrant sauce dripping out,
and glance at each other askance, wordless,
the corners of our eyes clear as spear points
laid along the sill to show
a friend sits with a friend here.



No comments:

Post a Comment