Monday, November 13, 2017

Kitchen Confidential


We moved into our new house! I'm looking forward to cooking again after a relative drought AND I've attended two four-day meetings recently (Charleston and Phoenix) -- too much/too frequent restaurant food makes me long for simple meals of fried eggs and bacon, lots of veggies, the iced coffee I like, and unfettered access to sparkling water.

Here is a list of food-related articles I've bookmarked or checked out recently:

Chewy.cheese.puffs.   Milk Street's pao de queijo. Though I am still somewhat upset over Chris Kimball's departure from ATK.


Slow cooker, Southern style  I want to try the Thai chicken soup and duck confit recipes from Hugh Acheson's new The Chef and the Slow Cooker.


Save the date for my first annual BYOM (bring your own molcajete) queso party inspired by Lisa Fain's new book Queso!


Best cooking advice from Epicurious


Been looking for a black sesame ice cream recipe after having it in Montreal and in Florence (still looking for an olive oil ice cream recipe - had that in Portland!)


Gadgets   I probably have all of these useful unitaskers (Serious Eats). You know what I ordered today? A jalapeƱo corer! How else am going to make bacon-wrapped, cream cheese poppers for the crowd at the queso party?


And gizmos aplenty  Getting closer to ordering that Internet sensation, the Instant Pot. Kenji Lopez-Alt wrote a review of multi cookers and the Instant Pot (available with Bluetooth!) is the best buy fave; the Breville is the best overall (but $100 more).


Spicy! Noodles!  Eager to find some time to make this Chinese noodle dish.


Pour-over coffee  Anyone have a Chemex? They and most everything else is 20% off at Sur La Table today. Luke returned from SATX raving about the pour-over coffee he had a friend's house.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for helping me find a Christmas gift for Pete - I think he'll like the Chemex!

    ReplyDelete