Monday, January 20, 2014

A Weekend in Houston


A couple of weeks ago I decided to attend a conference in Houston as Luke agreed, astonishingly, to another round of hotel room baby-watching while I went to lectures during the day.  So, to begin, a great big This American Wife thank you to The Best American Husband for encouraging not only our baby's brain development but my own.

On Friday we drove to Houston, stopping when we were starving for gas station Subway sandwiches along the way.  C did great as always and it was an uneventful trip.  After checking in and getting situated, we went to dinner at Underbelly, a locavore hot spot I had read about in Texas Monthly or some such.  Dinner was delicious, however, we agreed later we weren't completely floored... which speaks to how important it is to be very hungry when you eat... and why the tuna on wheat and Italian BMT on Italian herbs and cheese bread from a Love's rest stop somewhere on I-10 will stand out as the memorable meal of the weekend.


pit stop

Throughout Saturday I attended lectures and popped upstairs during the downtime to catch up with Luke and Clementine. That night Luke headed out to take in a little of H-town, including a Guy Forsyth concert at the Mucky Duck, getting lost in an underground tunnel in a parking garage, and getting propositioned for a Nepalese getaway next summer by a gas station attendant (you still got it, baby!)

Hotel room times:




 
C loves to empty shelves, baskets, suitcases, throwing the contents over her shoulder.



After the conclusion of the talks I wanted to attend, we spent a couple of hours at the Tot Spot of the Children's Museum of Houston, an area restricted to children 0-35 months.  We had a great time and I took 150 photos, 103 of which are below.
























An added bonus to this weekend was a Monday off for MLK day.  C and I got out of the house early 'to let Daddy sleep' though this usually transpires as 'things Mommy likes to do that Daddy balks at' like having brunch and going to Target [to spend $100 on whoknowswhat].  We did get the oil changed during brunch by dropping the car off and strolling a block to Twin Sisters where we shared a banana and a pancake - multitasking!  Later I got out of the house again to visit my happy place, Central Market, getting ingredients for baked potato soup (slow cooking as I type) and creamy shells with peas and prosciutto (quite a good dinner).

Hope you had a relaxing long weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely trip! We still haven't visited the Houston Children's Museum but it's on our list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! The museum is Parents' magazine #1 kids museum, apparently.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you shared this. I'll be honest and say I didn't know jack about kids until I had mine. Ha! This is my first rodeo. I have no clue where you take babies to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be going to the tot spot at the SA kids museum - I didn't know they had one. We try to take her places where we have fun too- going to have to prevent her from ever finding out Disney World exists! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey! It's Jenn from Team Engelbrecht. Gosh, I haven't been to Houston since college, but I remember really liking it. Who knows though. Can't wait to dig through your blog, I wanted to join the Air Force instead of the lame-o Navy ;)

    ReplyDelete