Friday, March 20, 2015

Double Feature


Last night we watched two movies AND an episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. All critically acclaimed so we are not couch potatoes but discriminating cinephiles. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

First we watched Wild, which I loved. It maintained the essence of the book beautifully. Revised Strayed syllabus:

1) Read Wild
2) Read Tiny Beautiful Things
3) Read Torch but not the intro
4) Read intro to Torch
4) Watch Wild
5) Listen to Dear Sugar Radio podcast. I'm in the second episode and I think Cheryl's been reading my diary.

I mentioned this before but I love Reese Witherspoon's quote about Wild: "I’ve never seen a film like Wild where the woman ends up with no man, no money, no family, no opportunity, but she still has a happy ending."



Then Birdman. I was annoyed by the drum score in the beginning but warmed up a lot. Then I spent the rest of the movie thinking about how weirdly enormous Emma Stone's eyes are and Tina Fey's joke about it at the Golden Globes. I loved how very different this movie was (thinking here of stolid biopic The Imitation Game) and original.



Still might get around to Theory of Everything; will eventually watch Better Call Saul; finished House of Cards finally; have a physical and cyber-stack of books to read. Listening to Roxane Gay's Bad Feminist. A forecast of torrential rain will keep us inside this weekend -- luckily we have four bananas, a lot of yogurt, and a double batch of pressure cooker macaroni and cheese and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood streaming on Hulu - we're going to make it.

Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment