Monday, October 31, 2011

Bear Stuffs


Angel Biscuits from John Besh's My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking  How great is that title?  Yum, yum, flaky yum.

Wreaths Across America - for $30 one wreath will be sent to the recipient of your choice, and another will be placed on the grave of a veteran (you may specify a state or specific cemetery if you choose).  A wonderful way to honor the sacrifices of other families during the holidays.

This tee from Anthropologie.  I bought it in a grey-chartreuse-cream small polka dot print that isn't online. Not much to look at in a photo but is so flattering.  Definitely worth the price- this is no ordinary tee shirt.

The word anoesis (this popped up as the word of the day on Luke's dictionary app).

an·o·e·sis
noun \-ˈwē-səs\
pluralan·o·e·ses\-ˌsēz\

Definition of ANOESIS

: consciousness that is pure passive receptiveness without understanding or intellectual organization of the materials presented

So great there is a word for this!  But I prefer to call it... bear stuffs.


                                                                  

Can't wait to read Joan Didion's new book. I am number 14 of 14 holds when the library finishes accessioning it.  In the meantime, plan to audiobook Year of Magical Thinking (I read it a couple of years ago) and read Where I Was From and Play It As It Lays... I've deveoped a habit of reading (or listening to) one author at a time...  after three Cormac McCarthy books it's time for some nonfiction and a female author.

These beautiful watercolors.

Parsnips - so good!  Who knew?

Gorgeous upcycled fur accessories from my friend in St Louis. 

Po'girl..  A while ago, my friend Scott made me CD with the song Movin' On on it, and I loved it and added A Po'girl station to my Pandora account. When they came through St Louis, I was there-- a rather unique concert because though at a standard bar venue, it was a seated affair and I went by myself.  Fast forward to Chicago summer 2010- Luke and I are hanging out in his kitchen when his roommate Alex Maryol (a fantastically talented musician) comes with a friend back from a jog.  I look at the friend and exclaim, Are you Ally [the lead singer] from Po'girl????  And she said yes, I am!  How do you know me?  I replied I was a huge fan of their band and saw them in St Louis a few months before.
     Acccording to Alex, Ally thought this meeting-a-fan was pretty awesome even as their band tours Europe and enjoys increasing success.
     So whenever I hear their music and in particular this song, which Pandora played during my marathon cooking weekend, I have to think what a very small world it is, and how very wonderful.

Scott and I, New Years 2008.  If you're happy and you know it show your molars.


                             

1 comment:

  1. for your newly-discovered love of parsnips:

    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/honey-roasted-root-vegetables-10000001108240/

    These were a hit at a family gathering a few years back!

    ReplyDelete