Saturday, October 29, 2011

Go Carbs; Go Cards!

I really love how Mod and Susie make a little list of things they like/think are interesting/funny y'know y'know.

On my mind this fall day - the first of the season cool enough to wear a light jacket.

Floppy hats! with the right size brim (not to big or too small) and just enough flop so that it doesn't sag in your face. (p.s. are you familiar with Shopstyle?  So fantastic when you are looking for something specific, like orange corduroys, capelets and purses with fringe.  Oh wait that's what I'm looking for.  And then you can sort by price, color, size, etc).

Cooking Light's list of best general cookbooks.  Martha Stewart's Cooking School is checked from the library, on the nightstand.  Teach me, Martha!

Jeni's Ice Creams  Granted, I have only had one pint of her ice cream (it was $9.99) but it was crazy delicious.  I read her book last night about making ice cream at home and it was simply charming- her voice and creative vision and commitment to using thoughtfully sourced (ergo, expensive) ingredients.  The bowl of my newly purchased ice cream maker is frozen, and I purchased a bunch of heavy cream, whole milk and cream cheese this afternoon.  This evening, I make ice cream!


Good Time from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams on Vimeo.

How cute is she?




Warby Parker glasses - I think I might need another regulation pair as my pink pair and the ones with the gold leathuh temples don't cut it.  Under $150, free shipping, and they donate a pair to charity for every pair you buy.  Plus home try-on of frames.

Deadwood is an HBO show that ran for three seasons from 2002-2006.  I have watched the series before but Luke hasn't; we are watching it together and have one season to go.  The language is rough but probably accurate for the time; the dialogue is superb; the plotlines gripping; the sets/costumes fantastically detailed.  Also fascinating is the behind-the-scenes bonus features with the show's creator and head writer David Milch-- he draws on broad social themes (such that it is not a soap opera but a treatise on civilization and the need for community) and mindspinningly diverse sources of inspiration.  You get the feeling he is a little crazy.  But a genius storyteller.  A highly recommended viewing experience.


The elation of my dear city St Louis over the Cardinals' World Series victory.  Woohoo!  Makes me think of all my beloved friends and family there.  Love and miss you all!


Miss Gracie Mac and I at a Cardinals game, spring 2009


3 comments:

  1. Julie! big fan of the floppy hats (tried one on today in the store - it made me smile). Loved the videos about Jeni's Ice Cream. Let me know how your own adventure pans out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna share that glasses site w/ Al. He's in the market and I'm liking the styles.

    ReplyDelete