Tuesday, October 4, 2011

First Fig

I came across this on my Pinterest board and was reminded of listening to this program on NPR as I drove around St. Louis one day.... I was rapt.

You can listen here (recommend! - it's about 50 minutes) and read more discussion here and here. The program focuses on the interplay of memory, being and self in group of early Alzheimer's patients in a writing group - and how writing, the committing of memories to paper, is an attempt to escape being swallowed up, to escape not remembering or not being remembered.  The results from the group are like that above, heart-achingly poignant and beautiful.

On ephemera   Made me think of a sentence I just heard in the book I'm listening to in the car, Cormac McCarthy's Cities of the Plain: 
The man smiled at him a sly smile. As if they knew a secret between them, these two. Something of age and youth and their claims and the justice of those claims. And of their claims upon them. The world past, the world to come. Their common transciencies.
Above all a knowing deep in the bone that beauty and loss are one.

On writing   And of how blogging and Facebook (for me, and for others I'm sure) feeds the deep desires to remember (through journaling) and be known and heard, be it by a handful or hundreds.  And how this little prosaic mosaic of my life set down in type on this screen does bring a singular satisfaction, like seeing one's name in thick script on a diploma or in the newspaper.
                                     
                                     In ink, therefore I am.

What about you, readers?  A similarly Cartesian conclusion?  What needs are met by blogging or Facebook?  Does social media make you feel more - or less - connected?

                                                            
                                             POSTSCRIPT
I have been at the computer much this week just a-bloggin' away because Luke has been feverishly working at his computer across from mine

hello, Luke
learning songs, transcribing lyrics and compiling his song-book.  So I have been in the office too... and tonight while I re-listening to this heart-wrenching podcast and doing some soul-searching and meditating on life and loss and death and vicissitudes of fate and fortune, he sang Caribbean Queen at least 46 times. :)

               Now we're sharing the same dream/ and our hearts, they beat as one

No more love on the run

                                      Carpe diem, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment