Monday, October 24, 2011

The Hutch

Luke and I are the lucky recipients of new family heirlooms, which my parents drove down to San Antonio this weekend.  One of my dad's many hobbies is woodworking; about two years ago he built me a glass-topped dining room table, and this time he built a hutch and sidetable to complete the set.  The pieces are just magnificent and I feel so lucky to own a one-of-a-kind Kunkel original :)



In the WashMO workshop

Parents are here!


Moving it in.  It looked heavy from where I was standing.



The installation.
Finished!  So beautiful!



The sides are glass to let in more light.  This was one of many design contributions by my mom, project manager.
Rounded edges- difficult to capture.
Oiled bronze hardware.
Storage galorage.



Storage with another gift-- food processor!  PUR-YAY!  It's grate :)

The side table.
Artwork I purchased at a street fair in London in 2003.  I still love it.
The dining room!  Stay tuned for a window treatment and more artwork.

My parents' neighbors had these brass plates made for my dad after he built them an entertainment center.  Such a great gift!

My parents got to visit Rick and Doris Brown, old USAF friends from Norway, current San Antonio surrogate family.  We had dinner at La Hacienda on the patio- perfect weather- while Luke performed.  On Saturday we installed the hutch and went on a mini-tour of the hospital where I work.  We met up with R & D again for dinner and then my parents were OFF!  Back to St Louis.  A too-brief visit but very fun!

At La Hacienda listening to Luke perform.




Thank you for the spectacular furniture and for all your hard work, Dad! You have made something functional and beautiful that will be treasured for years to come.

4 comments:

  1. wow. that is an amazing piece dr. kunkel! what a treasure for luke and julie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of all of you! Your new furniture is a beautiful treasure! What a great weekend you all had. :) Mary Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful dining room Julie. Your dad is so talented-quite and artist. Amazing workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I didn't sign my name on that last comment. Pat Hinkle

    ReplyDelete