Monday, October 21, 2013

Reading Now





Kitchen Literacy (not first checkout)

Raising Confident Readers

Baby Read-Aloud Basics (more on this below)

Brave New Quilts - I don't know anything about quilts but this is a beautiful book that blends 20th century art history with modern quilt design.  Already on my list of someday hobbies.

VB6 (at least fifth checkout, never cracked it open.  I think my subconscious is resistant to the idea of no eggs for breakfast)

Six o'Clock Solutions  (this was featured in the September 2013 issue of Southern Living and the pork with plums and red onion sounded delish, as did the other quick weeknight recipes)


We are voracious readers but have not done a good enough job reading to C as a routine-- although she sees us reading all the time.  Too often, however, the source is our phones, a habit I am breaking NOW.  This passage is from the introduction of Baby Read-Aloud Basics and I find it very much a call to arms ['the number of words babies hear each day is the single most important predictor of future intelligence, school success, and social skills'.]  We do talk to her a lot -- she and I had a loud conversation about the green veggies and yellow bananas at the grocery store yesterday and I did get several funny looks -- sorry, people, I'm encouraging this little human's BRAIN DEVELOPMENT.  These carrots are ORANGE!  And so crunchy. Crunchy crunchy crunchy! [bounce bounce bounce in her carrier goes the little Ergonaut]

 

 
Reading anything good these days?  I picked up Ian McEwan's new book Sweet Tooth at the library for $1, so perhaps I'll read some fiction again soon.

7 comments:

  1. Omg!! I love your book list! I saw that mark bittman book at the library last week but was scared lol. I love cheese. I just finished "reading magic" by mem fox. Totally adding these read aloud books to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! I might do better with a 'vegan before 6 except for the generous crumbles of goat cheese which make it possible to eat these three cups of baby spinach'

      Delete
  2. Year one of a child's life is all about input, input, input as far as language development is concerned. We often recommend reading 5-10 board books a day as a good baseline for exposure to verbal language. :-)
    Can't wait to hear if you recommend the Six O'clock Solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH. We are behind. Though she does get chatted to in English and Spanish all day at daycare, and probably read to as well. But we need to do better!

      Delete
  3. Raising confident readers sounds interesting. Have you heard of a podcast called 'books on the nightstand'? I think you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I will look into it - sounds interesting!

      Delete