Monday, November 10, 2014

All I Wanna Do

This weekend was just the cubs and me. We went to the Y where I read Gone Girl*, had lunch at Central Market, and lazed around the house. Hulu let me down with no new Nashville to hate-watch/envy Rayna's endless collection of shiny jeans. On Sunday C was up earlier than usual so we made it to the farmers' market early, for an iced coffee (almond milk and a one Mississippi two Mississippi squirt of agave) and crab Benedict (crab meat and beurre blanc over poached eggs and a buttermilk biscuit. C loved it. #fancy)

*Gone Girl: not going to enter the canon of Great American Novels but an entertaining yarn nonetheless. It was fun to want to read, read, read -- usually I read nonfiction that doesn't have that one-more-page! momentum. I had a vague idea of the denouement(s) as the book and the movie have been out for a while. As a procedural it falls very, very short - but my sister pointed out that if you read it as a romance, or even an allegory (my suggestion), it succeeds far more.

Botanical Garden time, which reminds me about one of the most important things I've learned about parenting - always have reading material in your car. You never know when they will nod off and if you have nowhere pressing to be and all of sudden you've got 30 minutes to read.


Of course Josie had other ideas.


I've included this vantage point of the succulent path at least six times but it's so dang pretty.


Luke came home from Houston and we went to the park with our picnic aka grilled cheese and BLT from Sonic. Good helper:




________________
Non sequitur but I thought it was so funny --> Luke: 'How old were you when you started shaving your legs? I know you were 32 when you stopped, but when did you start?'
________________

This morning when I inadvertently dressed C as a miniature cast member of the Breakfast Club:




Now, my dears, I think you're all caught up. Tomorrow is one of the very few days of the year that I have off and the rest of the world - including, crucially, the daycare -- does not. I have been feverishly thinking of all the things I will do on a weekday. Probably drink a beer at noon at a bar that faces a giant carwash.

2 comments:

  1. I like how Gone Girl challenges rom-com tropes. Think of their "meet cute" and how that gets all twisted around. And it flat-out mocks the "boy-saves-girl" routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, as someone pointed out in my book club, how clever is it that her parents give her a cuckoo clock (as in, "girl is cuckoo for cocoa puffs")? Just a really interesting, clever book.

    ReplyDelete