Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high

Reading more these days, so great.  Also have been trying to make the most of a longer commute time (25 minutes instead of 10) with audiobooks.  Amazingly, just two months of no radio means I am completely out of touch with top 40 songs.  The latest Gaga parody will be lost on me.

After The Road, we (mostly me, Luke when we drove around together) listened to something a little less bleak and dystopian, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, read by the author.  The more time passes I think I liked it, but then I recall that Luke and I spent most of the time yelling

get
to
the
  POINT!!!


 So now I'm Back to Cormac:

Return of the Mac

Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West, read by Richard Poe.  It turns out I much prefer tales of violent men in stark godforsaken landscapes after all.

Spliced in with this, which is so great (it just caught my eye at the library the other day)-- famous poems, each with a biographical sketch of the poet and the historical context or importance of the poem.  Really interesting.



And on the nightstand-->  just finished Stasiland by Anna Funder.  I can't even remember how I heard about it, but I eagerly requested it and picked it up... only to be very disappointed.  The author set out to tell stories of people who suffered under the Communist regime in East Germany, as well as stories of the police, the Stasi.  However, she is the protagonist of the book and so much is from her point of view, living in now-unified Germany, that it is more her memoir than the stories of her subjects.  There is also very little discussion of the history of the creation of East Germany, and its fall, that the reader must be very familiar with these events to make sense of the book.  In that manner she succeeded in making me want to read more about that time in history, as it's something I know very little about.

Should have been called Funderland


Currently reading food writer Ruth Reichl's Tender at the Bone.  Great so far!




And, gentle readers, you all should read this:


By read I mean look at the pictures and read the hilarious marginalia and laugh for 20 minutes.  Too funny.

And, finally, Gynnie.  This is totally charming and readable, and many of the recipes look tasty.  Beautiful photography.  Also intrigued by Vegenaise, which figures prominently throughout (posited by GP to be a healthier alternative to mayo.)



Enjoying the heady part of my cyclic love affair with the public library system.  How great is it that I can check out a $35 book, glance at the pictures, read a little, make a tuna Gruyere melt, and then return it?  Learn about some classic poets, some funky interior design, some hippified mayonnaise?  It's amazing.





No comments:

Post a Comment