Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pinterest Challenge

Pinterest is a visual catalog of Things People Like - recipes, photographs, typography, fashion, gadgets and on and on.  It is an amazing source of inspiration, ideas....mostly it's a bunch of mind candy and a welcome respite from the news of terrible events that populate the Internet, or from honking/flashing/blaring pop-up ads.  It's a calming sanctuary of pretty.  Peaceful. Encouraging.  Om.

For me, though, in the vein of Facebook, it has served as an unexpected way of getting to know the people in my life a little better... sort of like scanning a new acquaintance's bookshelf, or peeking in their medicine cabinet. [A Pinterest member can follow (see) other Pinterest members' curated boards whether they are strangers or friends]  So far, I know:


Sara likes home decor.

Kristin hearts turquoise.

Amy likes bold fashion.

Susie loveslovesloves peonies.

Laura is interested in all things domestic and DIY.

Robin - ruffled panties.  But I knew that already.

        Because what defines us more than the things with which we surround ourselves?  What sort of work we do, the pursuits in our free time, the people we love or befriend?  Or in the case of Pinterest, the images, ideas, sentiments that speak to us in some way (aspirationally, inspirationally, humorously, pragmatically).
       What I appreciate about Pinterest is this unique way to cultivate friendships and personal taste; ready access to hundreds of images should I search updo or Christmas tree or meatless lasagna; and mostly the spirit of the enterprise, in which users appear to be striving to be kind, to be innovative, to value art and design and are enthusiastic about home and family and betterment:


Mod alerted me to a Pinterest Challenge - a call to actualize some of the pinned material.  Instead of transmogrifying into a willowy, pregnant (but not too pregnant, not sweaty edematous normal pregnant, but cute pregnant, not the I'm waddling-around-gravid-with-a-small-planet prego)- model- graphic designer-craft maven- food stylist - humorist - photographer- typographer- architect - yogi- wedding planner- bibliophile- all around sophisticate--- no, no, I decided - I can make some of the food that I have pinned.

To wit:

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Buffalo Chicken with Blue Cheese Slaw

Cinnamon-Sugar Coffee Cake Muffins

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

Curried Carrot Soup

Verdicts:

Blueberry breakfast cake

"This is just a giant pan of muffin, isn't it?" Luke said.

Oh but it's better than that - it's a giant pan of the top of the muffin [the good part].  Who even eats the bottom half of a muffin?

Buffalo chicken with blue cheese slaw  Luke has been playing so much, and at short notice that my meal plans got [happily] messed up this week.  Chose to freeze the chicken but made the slaw since those ingredients won't keep.  Really tasty slaw, especially good on turkey sandwiches.

Cinnamon-sugar coffee cake muffin   Tastes like a delicious cinn-sug cake doughnut.  Maybe it is a doughnut... in which case Lady Gaga was right about bluffin' with your muffin?  Or maybe that's something else entirely.

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala  So good!  So complex and flavorful.  Next time I will try the chicken breast variation; though using thighs made for rich, tender meat, the skin and bones in the slow cooker added a slight ick factor and diminished eye appeal.  Caveat cookor:  it is like an Indian spice bomb detonated in your kitchen  house  house and driveway. 

Curried Carrot Soup  Was going to make this this week, and then tonight, but Luke just told me he has an impromptu gig at a nearby Mexican restaurant!  So tonight - shrimp cocktail and tortilla soup (my newfound gig go-to's) and tomorrow- soup.


♥ Enjoy! ♥





 


1 comment:

  1. I love Pinterest! I spend way too much time on it and I have even started a weekly Pinterest Party on my blog. I just love having all of my ideas and inspirational pictures in one place.

    Great post!

    Best wishes and happy Pinning!
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete