Monday, May 23, 2016

What's Making Me Happy This Week


// Established my one repetition maximum for deadlift -- 185 lb! 

// Finished The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. If habit = patterns of human behavior then anything pertaining to human behavior is a habit? Enjoyed and learned a lot from this book despite being a little too all-encompassing due to the inadequate/borderline useless word habit. Nonetheless I feel better equipped to examine and modify my bad habits.

// Ordered a pair of Paul Green shoes a few days ago - they are en route. As I was looking over my Nordstrom wish list this morning I saw that they went on sale! I called Nordstrom (wait time to speak to an actual person: 15 seconds plus no menu to navigate!) and they awarded me the price adjustment ($125!!!) Take-aways:

    1. Always shop at Nordstrom for the best customer service and experience.
    2. Monitor your wish list! VIGILANCE, FRIENDS.

// Corollary: was May 22's Writers' Almanac post about disclosing your projected Anniversary Sale* budget to your spouse?

Tell all the truth but tell it slant —
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth’s superb surprise
As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind —
   
by Emily Dickinson.

*the fall clothes/accessories/shoes which are my very favorite - leather! suede! cashmere! knits! capes! boots! coziness! the sartorial expression of hygge!

// Having Matt in town for the weekend (aka Uncle Matt aka Uncle Cheetah aka Uncle Cheeto).

// Moving process moving along. It's happening!

// We've had Josie's crib in our room while Matt's visiting - I love hearing her sleep sounds. (Her awake-from-sleep sounds not so much).

// Roasted onions. Still perfecting this but so far tasty results with slicing off the ends, peeling, cutting in half and placing the larger surface down on a foil-lined baking sheet, smearing with oil/bacon grease, roasting until soft. (So far I've tried 425 for about 30 minutes).


Here's to dazzling gradually! Have a great week, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment