Saturday, November 19, 2016

City of Gold




I watched the first season of Chef's Table when it was released. The episode about Niki Nakayama featured Evan Kleiman, NPR food critic. I listen to a lot of NPR but had never heard Evan Kleiman so I sought out her show Good Food. Now it's a podcast I rarely miss. Every week has a restaurant recommendation by Jonathan Gold and I listen to this part intently too ... though I don't live in Los Angeles.


When I heard that a documentary about Gold was forthcoming I immediately added it the to-watch list on Wunderlist (other recent additions: Queen of Katwe and Moonlight).


This week I ran across a blurb somewhere online that it was now streaming on Hulu.


With the house to myself, I watched City of Gold last night. It is a moving, funny, tender, and celebratory portrait of a city (which I've always considered kind of soulless - wrong), an artist, and the American dream. Its vision of community couldn't come a better time, especially in light of the last weeks and months.








No comments:

Post a Comment