Monday, November 21, 2011

Plans

I've been thinking about some New Year's resolutions early this year, and not so much resolutions as things I would like to explore.  Ok and maybe some resolutions, because I am very, very prone to transient enthusiams. 

Walk.  Luke and I walked the track of the middle school very close to our house after work today, and he remarked: This is how I pictured it.  I replied, wearing shorts and sweating at 6:30 pm the week of Thanksgiving in San Antonio?  And he said, no, being that married couple who walks on the school track.
       So that's us.  Now that it cooler, we can venture outside and walk the track, which I prefer to the gym, the would-be calorie burn and cardio endurance happily traded for 30 minutes of conversation with my favorite person of ever, of always.

Tennis.  The junior high also has lighted tennis courts! 

Research projects.  I've never been a research-oriented person, and bemoaned whatever I had to do in residency but now I find myself genuinely excited to use my administrative time at work (which is generous) to do some data mining.  (If you, reader, started as a 'work-friend' then you will find this as startling a transformation as I do.  I even did the online IRB training course today- unbidden.)

Knitting.  Last January I took a knitting class but then we got engaged a few weeks later and then life became Wedding and Moving.  I did manage to make this:

 
          I know there are some knitting mamas out there (hello, Laura and Jackie!) and I look forward to joining your ranks.  As a knitter.  Maybe a mama. :)

I want to make these legwarmers.  Pattern at lionbrand.com


Buy new underwear.  Did you ever look in your drawer and find everything, no matter its original shade, has turned a dull, dishwater grey?  Amy Stoddard says that every woman has two distinct populations of undergarments, everyday underwear and, ahem, occasion underwear.  It's time for an intervention.  Operation Stormin' Nordstrom, engage.

Learn about music.  I don't know anything - anything- about music which means that Luke speaks a language I can't even grasp at.  If anyone has any recommendations for approaches or books to remedy this (a very general music education), I would love to hear it.  Just not any Idiot's or Dummy's Guides... those titles are insulting and demeaning to people who are trying to learn.  Sheesh.

Fix hair.  Many months ago I had my roots colored to camoflage these pesky greys (which I don't fret about oh blah dee oh blah dah) but it was too light, resulting in that popular ombre look, except backwards (lighter at scalp, darker at ends).  And now I have dyed my own hair and the same is true, except it's much, much darker.  Too dark.  I might take action on this more swiftly except I wear my hair in a bun most of my waking life and am not confronted with this mishap with every glance in the mirror, and it was my general amotivation that lead to my coloring it in the first place.  When it fades a bit I will admit I cannot do this alone, seek professional help and hope for some Julia-like color (note her ombre goes in the generally accepted direction.)  (What is it with Julia Roberts and Juliana Margulies?  They just keep looking better as they age.)

Microdermabrasion? Fillers?  TELL ME.


Cooking, baking - a lot; eating only locally sourced meat a la my fabulous cousin-in-law Tracie.

Volunteer more steadily at Morgan's Wonderland.

Make wedding album on Blurb.  Must do this!

Continuing this letters-to-home/journal/wish list/thoughts aloud:




 What are your plans or new directions?

6 comments:

  1. JK! So many comments for you:
    - knitting is easy peasy, I know you can make those leg warmers
    - just saw a friend's poster from presenting at a conference and had the slightest twinge of regret that I didn't do a thesis (have NEVER felt this way before)
    - have suggested to the hubs that Hanky Pankies would make a great stocking stuffer
    - also am wondering how to cover grays without getting highlights that look too red and/or blonde
    - the liver pureeing thing from yesterday's blog made me dry heave a little, reminded me of the time I ground my own chicken for meatballs (commence retching)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I found your blog a few hours ago via the Blogher blog list. You are on my list for my next weekly "New to You! Blog Saturday" list. I'm so glad you said hello! Here are my upcoming plans...learn to knit more than just scarves and blankets (ie...I only know how to do one stitch and I don't even know what it's called...yikes!); create more card invites (currently do diaper baby shower invites, baby onesie birth announcements/baby shower invites, lingerie shower invite, bridal dress shower invite); and read, read, and read some more. I have stacks and stacks of books just piling up (nothing too demanding cause I do enough research for my job that causes my brain to do lots of thinking and analyzing). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know that it's going to be too hot in Texas for those leg warmers, so if you make them and need someone to use them, I'm sure it will be plenty cold here in Detroit.

    My plan/goals are to: learn to sew, volunteer more, get into a workout routine with Alessandro and my most immediate plan is to find meaningful (an inexpensive) Christmas gifts for the fam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this return to the domestic arts an interesting phenomenon in the 25-35 year old set? Everyone wants to sew! The Yarn Barn here in SA has knitting classes but the trick will be to find 4 consecutive, unobligated Saturdays.
    LC: yes! Can't wait to start my little thyroid project; get some Hanky Pankies, girlfriend! (Just not these: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hanky-panky-peekaboo-high-waist-lace-panties/3246509?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=339); take it from me, get your hair done by a professional! That way you have someone to blame. :)
    T: Hi Taylor! Thanks for saying hello. I totally understand wanting some escapist reading.
    MBD: Love your plans. Looking forward to your gift ideas!

    ALL: NEVER puree liver. It turns into a gelatinous mass that you don't want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out!

    We had a local turkey for Thanksgiving, and it was the best turkey I've ever had. It cooked perfectly, in the time expected, carved well and was super delicious!

    I think eating local meat is a really great thing. It helps you ultimately eat less meat, as you deal with the realities of what it takes to produce meat in a responsible manner (cost and scarcity) and it tastes much, much better! But prepare yourself for less chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken will not be missed! Can't wait to start. Gimme a C, gimme an S, gimme an A!

    ReplyDelete