Saturday, December 10, 2011

Heart of Glasses

Ashley Percival

Speaking of bespectacled feathered friends...

My mom used to call me frequently (some might even call it, er, a habit) to say,

'Turn on the TV now!  It's Mother Angelica!  She is so cute! 
The cutest nun.  She looks like a little owl.'


                                                     Hoo's to say?  You be the judge.


For myopic crime-fighters:

Lookmatic.com

                                                                


When I was 10,11,12, somewhere in that timeframe, I wore large dark red frames.  Very Sally Jesse Raphael.  It was a difficult time that put the sympathetic bless-her-heart awww in awkward.  In medical school (and I could kick myself that I don't have it), I received a package from my mom in the mail.  It contained the lined pieces of cardstock that teachers write the alphabet on to place above a chalkboard.  Several feet long, and written in my mom's careful balls-and-sticks print, it read:

            I am sorry about the red glasses.

Where this unprompted apology came from, I don't know.  Likely she had just seen the photo on the wall of my grandparents' house (about which my grandmother says, 'I wish we could just airbrush those red glasses right off.'  But I say, no.  It was a moment in time, and I don't like being revisionist about anything.  Things happen the way they happen.  Even big red glasses.)

Of course now I love red glasses!  Like these.


Madewell.com




Anne Hathaway on the red carpet.  Love those frames.

Image via Huffingtonpost.com

Iris Apfel, style icon




I wish I knew where this photo came from, or who this woman is, because she is too fabulous for words.  FOR WORDS.  And I think we should be friends, because we both like dogs, big sunglasses, statement jewelry, caftans, cocktails and big hair (she in practice, me in theory).








Have a spec-tacular week, friends!

1 comment: