Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pantry Bandit


I want soup, I think.  Luke, want some soup?  Let me see if I have the ingredients... and I do.  This rarely happens, because I lack foresight when it comes to stocking the pantry, leading to the second reason, our pantry is very small.

This soup is delicious.  It uses one of LH's favorite ingredients, chili paste, and is proof that adding heavy cream makes everything better.  Looking forward to cooking my way through the rest of this book (and convincing you to check it out!  Everything I've made has been a make-again.)  Flipping through it now to find ways to use up the CSA greens (cabbage, spinach, Swiss chard) over the next few days.





Creamy Heirloom Tomato Soup
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2- 12 oz cans good quality tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon sambal chili paste
1 teaspoon sugar
fresh basil
salt

Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottom saucepan over high heat.  Add the garlic and stir for a minute but don't let it brown.  Add the tomatoes, cream, chili paste, sugar and basil and bring to a boil.  Transfer to a blender and puree.  Season with salt and a pinch more sugar.

That's it!  I used my new favorite kitchen gadget, the immersion blender, because the transferring process seems messy.


Text Messages
by Jordan Davis 
A wave of love for you just knocked me off my chair
I will love you and love you
I will reach out my hand to you in the noise of carhorns and merengue and pull you close by the waist
I will call you my museum of everything always
I will call you MDMA
I love you ecstatic exalted sublime
I wish you were here—there's an enormous cloud sitting off in the distance
It's a beautiful walk from there to my place
I'm buzzing but the buzzer may not be working
There's a raccoon rearing on hind legs twitching its nose from behind a short fence
Let me stew you some tomatoes
As long as I keep moving the overtones don't jackhammer my skull
I am waiting for something very very good
My phone is like, what, I'm a phone


2 comments:

  1. I love that sambal stuff. Grew up with it, my Dad was in love with it. Spicy tomato soup..Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SO good. The chili paste may have a lot of salt in it (may not need extra for seasoning). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete