Friday, December 23, 2011

Proust Questionnaire

What is your idea of perfect happiness?  Healthy babies and healthy mothers.

What is your greatest fear?  Locked-in syndrome.

What historical figure do you most identify with?  Hmm... none.

Which living person do you most admire?  Alice Munro, the poet of the everyday.  She convinced me women can write, after all.



What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?  Being indulgent and generous with myself, yet finding fault with others over minuscule matters in nanoseconds.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?  Lack of: ambition, humor.

What is your greatest extravagance?  Buying food for fun, when so many are hungry or living in food deserts.

What is your favorite journey?  From bed to bathroom to brush teeth, and back to bed.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?  Piety.

On what occasion do you lie?  To spare someone's feelings over a minor matter, like a potluck dish.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?  How can I complain about anything, when I have my health and my mobility?

Which living person do you most despise?  [other than those committing crimes against others] Planned Parenthood picketers.  I hold their right to protest very dear, but that time and energy could be spent toward finding adoptive families, funding birth control measures or counseling programs... anything but standing in the rain directing vitriol toward young women, some of whom come from situations most of us are lucky to never empathize with: rape, incest, etc.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?  'That's fabulous.'

What is your greatest regret?  I have a bunch of regretlets, but thankfully nothing takes the title of 'greatest' yet.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?  My husband, Luke.

When and where were you happiest?  July 29, 2011 in Gruene, Texas at a James McMurtry concert with my husband.

Which talent would you most like to have?  Drawing wicked little caricatures.  Or being able to carry a tune.

What is your current state of mind?  Hopeful but anxious.  As always.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?  Capacity for understanding music.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?  Freeing myself from the bondage of my own complacency.

What is your most treasured possession?  I place no value in material possessions.  All is replaceable.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?  The ones you love - gone.

Where would you like to live?  Austin or Minneapolis.  Someplace urban but navigable.

What is your favorite occupation?  The one I have.



What is your most marked INTERRUPTING characteristic?

What do you most value in your friends?  They know I read the message and responded in my head, but forgot to send a reply email.

Who are your heroes in real life?  Women balancing career and family.

What are your favorite names?  I worked with a plastic surgery resident named Mimi Chow, and years later I still think it's the greatest name of all time.

What is it that you most dislike?  Smugness, sanctimony and spitting in public.

How would you like to die?  In a manner not alarming or too saddening to the people who love me.

What is your motto?  Always wear comfortable shoes.


You can take your own Proust questionnaire here.  I would love to see the results!

1 comment:

  1. Some questions are really heart touching, i had my divorce last year,....




    Brand questionnaire

    ReplyDelete