Monday, September 5, 2016

So Much Happiness


Scenes from our fantastic weekend! Old friends, new friends, and the life-changing magic of doing that thing you always said you were going to do.







Friday night: Bowling alley 5th birthday party with friends. No pics here due to Josie's incessant attempts to put her face in the ball return. Luke went out - I stayed in.

Saturday: C and I picked up croissants for the J3 gals at La Bonne Bouchee and went to Lafayette Square. Kellee gave C the most adorable haircut - trying to recapture this magic.




C and I went to the Central West End because I wanted to stop in two stores- Eye Roc and AG Jeans. I heard about Eye Roc at Tower Grove farmer's market when tending to a woman who had fallen and skinned her knee badly and she happened to be wearing great glasses - she directed me to Eye Roc. While I was trying on frames C announced I HAVE TO GO POTTY and the salesman directed me to the common area shared by the shops on the block and gave me the bathroom code. Business completed, we went back to the store and I bought a pair of frames. Moving a few storefronts down...

Once or twice prior to moving I bought jeans at the AG Jeans store from a salesperson named Carol. She is the BEST, always making it perfectly clear that it's the jean's fault that they don't look great. When we walked into the store a saleswomen was helping another customer and I asked the man at the cash register, is that Carol? And it was! I greeted her and said I've always thought she was an amazing salesperson. Of course I needed to try on The Perfect Pants in new colors and during which C announced I HAVE TO GO POO POO! Carol laughed and said go ahead (I had their jeans on) and ushered us into the same common area and keypad access bathroom. C noted "this looks the same as the eye bafroom."

Back at home, we collected Luke and Josie for a trip out to Grandma and Pop Pop's for a sleepover.

Cheese stick, phone, binoculars

With the girls at the grandparents', we spent a day with friends at their cabin. Fun, friends, and delicious food!












Bob Seger tribute band concert at the community space.




Lunch at a Chinese place Luke soon after deemed to be OFF THE LIST.



Labor Day barbecue with the STL family - we got the girls back, visited with everybody, and went to see Jenny's new house (cute cute cute!!!) That night we watched the first two episodes of the ESPN OJ documentary.


Monday: Helping out with the scrambled eggs. I BREAK THEM, I MIX THEM!



After breakfast we decided to go on a bike ride with the bike trailer (we've only used it as a stroller). Luke pumped up the tires, unloaded the van, reloaded the van, aaaaaaand we realized he and I didn't have our helmets (probably in storage). It began to get hot (but not nearly the spirit-crushing heat of SATX). We drove to the Trek store for helmets and indoor cycling shoes (is this the year I get into Spinning?) but, no, they were closed. Drove up the street to Academy Sporting Goods ... but they haven't opened yet. Attempt #3, Walmart, was the ticket. We biked around Creve Coeur Lake Park - a long, mostly shaded, paved loop. (Bonus, it's not even four miles from us).  After fighting most of the way in their car seats, I thought the trailer would turn into a cage match but they sat quietly.

Leaving the park was difficult though.



I look forward to exploring this park - we only saw a little of it. AND THEN -- I did something I've wanted to do for years but haven't because of... not sure. Overall reluctance to try new things? Hatred of heat? Life-experience-stunting risk aversion? I RODE MY BIKE TO THE GROCERY STORE. It took 5 minutes each way and the few cars* I encountered gave me a very wide berth thinking that I had kids in the trailer -- little did they know it was just 4 gallons of Snapple half tea/half lemonade my dad got me hooked on.

*most of the route is through a series of parking lots. I have no excuses, people.

VICTORY IN OUR TIME!


Obscured in this photo are my safety flag (which I plan on replacing with the Flavor Savers Party Flag) and my hamburger bell, which I think is adorable.


I made our food for the week and after dinner (taco bowls) we rode our bikes to THE ICE CWEAM STORE.





Bath, books, clean the kitchen, another documentary episode. SO MANY FUNS.

So Much Happiness

It is difficult to know what to do with so much happiness.
With sadness there is something to rub against,
a wound to tend with lotion and cloth.
When the world falls in around you, you have pieces to pick up,
something to hold in your hands, like ticket stubs or change.
But happiness floats.
It doesn’t need you to hold it down.
It doesn’t need anything.
Happiness lands on the roof of the next house, singing,
and disappears when it wants to.
You are happy either way.
Even the fact that you once lived in a peaceful tree house
and now live over a quarry of noise and dust
cannot make you unhappy.
Everything has a life of its own,
it too could wake up filled with possibilities
of coffee cake and ripe peaches,
and love even the floor which needs to be swept,
the soiled linens and scratched records . . .
Since there is no place large enough
to contain so much happiness,
you shrug, you raise your hands, and it flows out of you
into everything you touch. You are not responsible.
You take no credit, as the night sky takes no credit
for the moon, but continues to hold it, and share it,
and in that way, be known.

No comments:

Post a Comment