Wednesday, December 14, 2016

2016 TAW Gift Guide


Gift ideas either vetted or coveted by me!

As my kids are thrilled with old magazines + sheets of stickers, I don't have a lot of ideas here. BUT

๐Ÿ’ Speaking of stickers I never have them on hand and they are so useful in a pinch produced from whichever bag I have with me: considering a Pipsticks subscription because stickers are fun, receiving mail is fun, having an activity on hand is a dinner-out-saver.

๐Ÿ’  These Lovelane Designs heavy duty screen printed cotton canvas capes and costume pieces are so cute and indestructible. Ours gets a lot of wear and looks perfect. I'll be sending one to Baby Ava.

๐Ÿ’ Lately the girls love picking out records to play on the record player. Their favorites right now are the Frozen soundtrack and Best of Disney. We enjoy listening to music without touching our phones or skipping songs with a swipe. For Christmas I've ordered the Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Little Mermaid soundtracks. Josie squeals with delight (SEEPING BOOTY! she shrieks -- don't google it) when she recognizes the Sleeping Beauty song on the Best of Disney; I wonder if she'll like the soundtrack as it is mostly the Tchaikovsky ballet score.

The man in your life: A Yeti cooler? I have no idea.

My friend Kristen asked me what I was getting myself for Christmas this year (move over Terry Gross, that was the best question ever!) and here's my list:

๐ŸŽ„ A bottle of Tom Ford perfume, Plum Japonais. I fell in love with the scent when it was on the wrist of the TF saleswoman applying my makeup in Seattle.

๐ŸŽ„ShootAlong 2017 yearlong camera classes. We have a nice DSLR and I've purchased at least three books about learning digital photography and haven't done more than flip through them. This course consists of 52 weekly projects focused exactly on what I what to do - family portraits. I've taken Gretchen Rubin's quiz, I know I'm an Obliger! I'm very good at responding to assigned tasks. Self-imposed? Not so much. (Corollary gift(s): the version of Photoshop they use in the course; maybe a new lens because more toys = more fun?)

image via


Ideas for you, friends:

๐ŸŽ‰  For the everyday hero in your life, say it with an enamel pin:

image (and many more!) via emilymcdowell.com


๐Ÿท  2016 - annus horribilis that it's been - requires a wine cardigan of epic proportions. Cardigan, robe, what's the difference? We need to be comfortable while we're toppling the patriarchy.


๐Ÿ‘  Wacoal panties that fit size 4-16. Who needs that YOU BOUGHT ME WHAT SIZE drama Christmas morning?


๐Ÿ”ฎ  M Quan ceramic pieces. I saw these in the gift shop (best gift shop, best hotel if you find yourself in San Antone) at Hotel Emma and immediately starting dreaming of a midcentury ranch in which the focal design elements would be a string of these bells, a little gold bar cart, and at least five sheepskins draped insouciantly over these chairs.

๐Ÿ’ต  Made in USA brands: every dollar we spend is political! Think of womenswear from Amour Vert, men/women/kid pajamas from Bedhead, Red Wing boots  


And finally some spendy frivolities:

๐Ÿ’ฐ  Beachwaver for people who can't remember which way they just spun the curling iron (me). I might bump this to the my-list.


๐Ÿ’ฐ LG Styler steaming cabinet? Tell me more! Can I shove a comforter in it? Grubby stuffed animals? If you have one, call me, I'm coming over!

Happy shopping!

p.s. it goes without saying but none of these links are sponsored!

No comments:

Post a Comment