Saturday, December 29, 2018

2019 Resolutions


I LOVE formulating resolutions. As always, execution remains problematic... before I get to want I want to do in 2019, here's a look back at my 2018 resolutions...


🏡 House projects: This year we converted the bar into a pantry and the butler's pantry into a mini-mudroom (tremendous improvements in functionality!); gave the front of the house a makeover (new lights, door color, hardware, and seating); and completed some landscaping of the front yard. 

🎫 Re-boot of monthly cultural event with Amanda. Boo - didn't do this!

📷 The Shoot Along course. I still have all the instructional e-mails! Bah!

💻 Blog more frequently. Blogged far less frequently, in fact.

 📚 Read 25 books. This year I read 12 books but started many more. I used to keep reading past the point of education or fun but I've become much more selective about my time.

💍 Wear the jewelry that I have. I did switch out my earrings once in a while ... in the course of a year.

🍴Lose weight. I lost ten pounds with Weight Watchers. 

Feeling strong again: I joined CycleBar and went to 115 classes from March to December, usually at 5:30 in the morning. Success!


2019


💥 BODY 💥

1) In 2016 through 2018 I worked with a personal trainer on and off with the goal of lifting heavy like I did in San Antonio with the plan to get my cardio / HIIT through the many classes available at the gym. That was sort of successful until scheduling became too difficult and it was no more than once per week under the best of circumstances. This year I joined CycleBar and went a BUNCH! A win! In the fall I joined a CrossFit gym but haven't gone as much as I'd like. When a recent newsletter said a 12 week, 5 day a week Olympic lifting cycle was starting Dec 31 I thought about it for a few days - could I get there and be ready to lift at 5:30 am? I concluded this was exactly the jumpstart I needed to finally realize my goal of intense lifting with a coach and work this gym (that I'm paying for!) into my schedule. This will carry me through March. I am a little nervous because this level of intensity is beyond my comfort zone - where all worthwhile things dwell, no? It will also be the crummiest time of the year - dark, cold, very early.

2) I read this NPR article about exercise and habit formation -  thought about the shows I want to watch (The Final Table, The Crown, the new season of Top Chef, Alias Grace) We recently moved our tv upstairs - meaning I can row and watch tv, aka "temptation bundling".

3) Stretching. My very poor mobility is getting worse. I am still looking for a circuit that I like (so I'll actually do it) but in the meantime I'll use the Yoga Studio app's flows for flexibility, another stretching app, and a series from Shape magazine.

4) I'll take a little break from CycleBar (once or twice per week during the 12 week lifting program, which will replace my usual 5:30 am spin time - and then some 😳)

5) Tracking / accountability: Elise Blaha's newsletter contained the 2019 tracker (an example here) I'm going to fill in two - one for weights/spin/etc and one for stretching. I have insight into how motivated I am by getting gold stars and will harness that renewal energy (turning satisfaction into enthusiasm and willpower) - and probably post on Instagram to boost a little peer pressure / narcissism power.

6) Other: row six times a month; go to four classes per month at the gym (yoga, pilates, HIIT); stretch 5 times a week.

I will be checking in at the end of March! This is a lot - it's hard to get to bed early enough to wake up at 4:45, so hard to wake up at 4:45, so hard to put a long day of work afterward, so hard to have anything left in the tank for my family at the end of the day. I am eager to see where I can get in 12 weeks* by putting my nose to the grindstone, pushing myself, eating enough protein, being on task enough to get enough sleep.

*I already know I will miss some days due to Luke or my being out of town.



✏ MIND ✏

1) At least two years I've failed at my goal of reading 25 books - failed by a long shot. I'm still shooting for it this year! (Full disclosure: I'm going to count the book I'm reading now, Tommy Orange's There There, in the 2019 tally!) Next up: Shane Bauer's American Prison and a TBD book about personal finance.

2) That's it. My brain is too full!



♡ SPIRIT ♡

1) Amanda and I have re-commited to attending one cultural event a season together! Four! We can do this! And have you checked out Amanda's tours yet?!!

2) Dress with joy, starting with this pink jumpsuit:


image via

3) I love seeing obscure dramas at Frontenac so if you're going - call me! (As long as I can be in bed by 10!)



⛏ DWELLING ⛏

1) Finish front yard landscaping (looking forward to seeing what survived the winter!) Replant the raised beds in the spring - no cucurbits! They were decimated by squash bugs. I'm going to buy plants instead of starting seeds inside.

2) Paint Hire a painter to paint the main rooms white.

3) I am excited to buy some new workout clothes but MUST sort and cull what I have. I plan to pick out my clothes - work and workout - each Sunday. Discipline is freedom! Pick out your outfits well in advance! Fill out your food log the night before! Wear a uniform a la Steve Jobs (and the millions of people who wear actual uniforms) - and free up your brainspace and mitigate decision fatigue! I know what to do ... but can I do it?


Happy new year, friends! What are you up to?








Resolutions past:

 2011 // Word of 2012 // 2013 // 2014 // 2015 //  Summer 2015 and Summer 2015 eval // 2016 // 2017 // 2017 summer // 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment